Base Camp Beef Mac and Cheese is a family go to for easy, healthy, and "always asking for more" goodness!
- 14 ounces elbow macaroni, (or your favorite pasta)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided into chunks
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 4 tablespoons flour (we typically use all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside
- Add the ground beef to a large, sturdy skillet. And turn to Medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until all the meat is light brown in color. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and parsley – sauté for about a minute, (be careful not to burn or brown the garlic). Add the flour and salt – sauté for another minute or two. Add the milk slowly, whisking to incorporate with the flour/butter mixture. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and has thickened slightly. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir the pasta together with the cheese sauce and add the beef. If the consistency is too thick; stir in a little extra water. Season with more salt and pepper.